How should I store my specimens?
What if a student eats/or gets in mouth?
What if I get the specimen fluid in my eye?
What personal protection is required?
How much ventilation should I have?
How can I reduce the smell?
What should I do to keep the specimens in good condition?
Q: How should I store my specimens?
A: Store in a cool dry place. It is ok to put in the refrigerator. The freezer is ok too if you want to keep for a long time. Keep specimens wrapped as air tight as possible.
Q: What if a student eats/or gets in mouth?
A: They should be ok. Bio specimens are not hazardous or toxic. Have student drink lots of water, do not induce vomiting. Watch for allergies. Offer SDS to guardians.
Q: What should I do to keep the specimens in good condition?
A: We recommend keeping the specimens in a cool, dry place. Wrap specimens up as air tight as possible. Spray a Lysol type air disinfectant 1 to 2 times a week. Clean pans, tools, tables with warm soapy water and dry well. If you'd like you can use Bio Shield or a diluted Lysol floor cleaner on the specimens to keep mold away.
Generally we put as many specimens in each bag or pail as possible so please specify if you need a certain number (example: 5 bags of 8 pigs or 3 pails of 20 frogs). You may request individual specimen vacuum packing for an additional fee.